(but so far any attempt by George Osborne to impose VAT on them has failed).
This Saturday in Bristol (1pm at the bandstand in castle park) people will demonstrate against companies that profit from workfare. They will join a total of twenty+ protests (scroll down for full list) across the UK. Workfare has taken a battering, its time to finish it off!
Workfare is the term applied to government schemes that force people to work for free or loose their benefits. It has been shown in its official report not to reduce unemployment, it costs millions in taxes, forces down wages, hurts small businesses, is corrupt, and only benefits (wait for it) big business and the rich!
Media reports, pulic outrage and a string of protests have resulted in dozens of organisations dropping out, and caused the government to lie on national TV to try and calm us all down. Well, we haven’t calmed down. It’s time to finish off workfare for good. Here’s our list, click for more details:
- Bournemouth: 11AM at near flirt cafe by the Library called by Solidarity Federtion, IWW, Anarhicst Federation, Portsmouth Anarchists, BPACC & Wessex Solidarity (followed by monthly Uk Uncut Action)
- Brighton: 11am Queens Rd/North st called by Brighton Benefits Campaign & Solidarity Federation
- Bristol: 1pm Castle Park Bandstand called by Anarchist Federation, Youth Fight For Jobs, IWW, Right To Work, Solidarity Federation & BADACA
- Glasgow: 12noon St. Enouch’s Underground called by Solidarity Federation, The Crutch Collective & Anarchist Federation
- Edinburgh: 12Noon, Kirkgate Centre, foot of Leith Walk called by Edinburgh Coalition Against Poverty & Anarchist Federation
- Hastings: 11am Hastings railway station called by Solidarity Federation & Hastings Anarchists
- Huddersfield: Primark time and details TBC called by Huddersfield Anarchists.
- Inverness: Details TBC, called by Highland Anarchists
- Kilburn (N. London): Kilburn Market called by Solidarity Federation & Anarchist Federation
- Lincoln: 1pm Stonebow called by Lincoln Underground Collective
- Liverpool: 1pm Asda Carpark smithdown road called by Solidarity Federation
- Lewisham (S. London): 1pm Lewisham Shopping Centre called by Solidarity Federation & Anarchist Federation
- Manchester: Details TBC, called by Solidarity Federation
- Newcastle: 2pm Bigg Market called by Solidarity Federation & Comrades
- Northampton: 11am Cobblers’ last called by Solidarity Federation
- Stroud: 10am, Holland&Barrett called by Stroud Against the Cuts
- Swindon: 12Noon War Memorial(Library) called by Swindon Anarchists
- Truro: 10am Lemon Quay Weatherspoons called by Cornwall Anti Cuts Alliance
- Wakefield: 11.30am Target TBC called by Solidarity Federation & Scottish Republican Socalist Movement
- York: 1pm Parliament St Fountain called by York Welfare Campaign & Solidarity Federation
In addition, on Friday (30th) there will be a protest in Halifax and on Monday (2nd) April boycott workfare will be protesting against the Communication Workers Union. The CWU are the only union to publicly support workfare. Please contact your local branch and check their position – in Bristol they are opposed to workfare and are tabling a motion at the April CWU conference to cease all involvement.